Site: Central East Ontario - No Physical Address
Service: Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) – Central East Application Sites
|Record #: CWD0548||Last Modified: 28 Sep 2020||Last Full Update: 24 Jan 2020|
|Description (Service)||COVID-19 Response
As of August 4, 2020, the ban on disconnection for non-payment for natural gas and electricity has ended. Customer who were behind in payments prior to March should expect collection activities and disconnection notices in the following weeks.
Utilities must let a customer know their account is overdue at least seven days prior to issuing a disconnection notice.
Assistance with utility arrears is available through the usual programs (see below)
In addition there is a special program available to those whose income has been affected by the pandemic.
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP): for customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bills due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
* Available to consumers who have fallen behind by at least two billing cycles, but whose accounts were in good standing when provincial emergency was declared (Mar 17, 2020)
* Available for those unemployed on the date they apply for funding, and have received Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit since March 17, 2020
* Provides electricity customers with up to $230 in support if they primarily use electricity for heating, or if they use energy-intensive medical devices, and up to $115 otherwise
* Provides natural gas customers with up to $160 if they reside in Northern Ontario, and up to $80 if they reside elsewhere
* Those who have received support from the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) or the Ontario Electricity Support Program in the recent past are ineligible
Applications will be available through the utility providers’ websites and will be accepted by email, mail, on-line application or by phone as of July 13, 2020.
Customers will be credited on their utility account.
For complete details and eligibility, contact your utility provider.
The Ontario Energy Board's Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) provides financial assistance for individuals experiencing difficulty paying their current arrears * Program runs from Jan 2-Dec 31 each year (unless funds are depleted before Dec 31) * Maximum grant is $500 per household per year ($600 if home is heated electrically) * Grant is credited directly towards the heating bill * To access LEAP individuals should contact the access agency in their area * Agency may be able to arrange a hold on a disconnection notice while a case is being reviewed * All decisions can be appealed * To determine who to call in your area, find the company that you receive your heating from in the lists below:
* Hydro One Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
* Alectra (formerly Power Stream Inc) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
* Clinton Power Corporation Contact Huron County, Social Services
* Elexicon Energy Inc (formerly Veridian Connections Inc) (Northumberland) Contact Northumberland United Way
* Elexicon Energy Inc (formerly Veridian Connections Inc) (Gravenhurst) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
* EPCOR (formerly COLLUS Power Corporation) Contact Empower Simcoe, Regional Housing Support Services, South Georgian Bay
* Erie Thames Hydro Contact Huron County, Social Services
* Festival Hydro Inc (Perth and Huron Counties) Contact Local Community Food Centre
* Goderich Hydro Contact Huron County, Social Services
* Inn Power (formerly Innisfil Hydro) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
* Lakefront Utilities Inc Contact The Help Centre of Northumberland
* Lakeland Power Distribution (Muskoka) Contact District Municipality of Muskoka
* Lakeland Power Distribution (Parry Sound) Contact District of Parry Sound Social Services
* Midland Power Utility Corporation Contact Empower Simcoe, Regional Housing Support, Midland
* Orillia Power Distribution Corporation Contact Empower Simcoe Community Services Regional Housing Support
* Parry Sound Power Corporation Contact District of Parry Sound Social Services
* Peterborough Distribution Incorporation Contact Community Counselling & Resource Centre
* Tay Hydro Contact Empower Simcoe, Regional Housing Support, Midland
* Wasaga Distribution Inc Contact Empower Simcoe, Regional Housing Support Services South Georgian Bay
* Wellington North Power Inc Contact 211 to complete intake for United Way of Bruce Grey * may be put on a waiting list if funds are depleted or limited
* West Coast Huron Energy Inc Contact Huron County Social Services
* West Perth Power Inc Contact Salvation Army, Family Services (Stratford)
* Westario Power Inc Contact Bruce County Housing (for all Westario customers)
* Enbridge Gas Distribution and former Union Gas customers within Ontario Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka - Leap Program
Click here for information about making a complaint to the Ontario Energy Board
|Public Comments|| If funds are depleted or additional assistance is required, call 2-1-1 for referral to County program, or click here to find agency for applicable area
As of January 1, 2019, Enbridge Gas Distribution and Union Gas have merged into one company, Enbridge Gas Inc
|Dates||Program runs annually Jan 2-Dec 31|
|Areas Served||Bruce County ; Grey County ; Haliburton ; Huron County ; Kawartha Lakes ; Muskoka District ; Northumberland County ; Parry Sound District ; Perth County ; Peterborough (County of) ; Simcoe County|
|Eligibility||May be available to low-income customers of heating distributors experiencing difficulty paying current arrears * decision will be based on several factors including long-term viability of the account * a disconnection notice is not required to be eligible|
|Application||Call applicable agency in your area to apply
Pre-screening by telephone before in-person interview * documents required for interview include photo id for everyone in the home, current utility bill, proof of lease or mortgage, proof of household income and recent bank statement showing 30 days prior to application date
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||211 Central East Region|
|Address & Map||
211 Collingwood, ON
|Physical Access||Not Applicable|