General Topics and Information - Central East

Site: No Physical Location

Service: Senior Housing in Dufferin County - Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes and Senior Apartments

Record #: DUF0080
Last Modified: 05 Mar 2024
Last Full Update: 18 Dec 2023


Description (Service) In Ontario there are various residential housing options with varying levels of accommodation and care for seniors. Refer to appropriate links below to search for type of senior housing required.


Long term care homes are subsidized facilities providing nursing and personal care to individuals who have high care needs that can no longer be managed in the community. Many long-term care homes also offer short-term respite or convalescent care.

CLICK HERE to view LONG TERM CARE HOMES located in Central West health areas

All Long-Term Care Homes (including those formerly known as Nursing Homes, Municipal Homes for the Aged, and Charitable Homes) in Ontario are governed by the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 (LTCHA). The requirements in the LTCHA ensure that residents of these homes receive safe, consistent and high-quality resident-centered care in settings where residents feel at home, are treated with respect and have the supports and services they need for their health and well-being. Long-Term Care Homes are licensed or approved by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

CLICK HERE to search for all long term care homes listed by the Ontario Long Term Care Association

For concerns or complaints about a long term care home, call the Long Term Care Action Line at 1-866-434-0144, Mon-Sun 8:30 am-7 pm

Residential facilities designed to enable retired individuals and other older adults to have a form of independent living, while sharing common interests and access to supportive services. Retirement residence costs vary and not all services may be included in the basic cost. Some retirement residences offer short stay programs when space permits.

CLICK HERE to view RETIREMENT RESIDENCES located in Central West health areas

The Ontario Residential Care Association (ORCA) is a voluntary, non-profit association that accredits retirement residences in Ontario.

The Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA), created under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (Act) is responsible for informing and educating the public, inspecting and licensing retirement homes, overseeing compliance and enforcing the Act for the protection of residents.

CLICK HERE to search for homes listed on the public register maintained by RHRA

Seniors Apartments are generally for seniors 55 years and over who are able to live independently. Most of the apartments listed below provide rent-geared-to-income units in addition to market rates.

CLICK HERE to view SENIOR APARTMENTS in Central West health areas

Apartments with supports provide assistance to help seniors to live independently, ranging from meals and housekeeping to personal care services (e.g. grooming, bathing, dressing and assistance with medications, ambulation and eating). Each apartment complex may offer varying degrees of assistance. Supports may be available on a self-pay basis (either as part of a base fee or as an additional purchase) or may be government-funded for eligible individuals.

CLICK HERE to view APARTMENTS WITH SUPPORTS in Central West health areas

Service Details

Hours n/a
Areas Served Dufferin County
Boundaries Central West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) region
Eligibility Long term care: Eligibility determined by Home and Community Care (formerly CCAC)

Residency Requirements: Central West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) region
Application Long Term Care: Application required through Home and Community Care (formerly CCAC)
Languages English
Fees n/a

Address and Location

Address & Map
Coordinates: 44.6073644, -79.4190960
Physical Access Not Applicable

Contact Information

Office Phone No public telephone number

Agency Overview