Rest Stations for Extreme Weather Relief, Grey County
|Record #: GRE0202||Last Modified: 07 Jul 2020||Last Full Update: 08 Jan 2020|
|Description (Service)||COVID-19 Response Due to concern regarding COVID-19, the facilities listed below may not be open. Contact individual facilities directly to see if they are open to the public
When Environment Canada issues an extreme heat or cold alert, rest areas are available to residents for relief from extreme weather conditions. These can include public buildings such as libraries or community centres during regular business hours. Other buildings such as malls or cinemas that have air conditioning/heating could also be used.
Contact your local municipality before visiting as locations and hours may be extended or limited depending on season and conditions * hours subject to change without notice and locations may be closed on holidays.
The following are suggested locations open during normal operating hours:
* L.E. Shore Memorial Library - 173 Bruce St South, Thornbury, ON - Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm * Tues, Thu 10 am-8 pm * Sun 12 noon-4 pm
* Craigleith Heritage Depot - 113 Lakeshore Rd East, The Blue Mountains, ON - Tue, Thu, Fri, Sun 12 noon- 5 pm * Wed 3 pm-8 pm, Sat 10 am-5 pm
Georgian Bluffs, Township of (Derby * Keady * Keppel * Sarawak * Shallow Lake * Springmount)
* Shallow Lake Community Centre - 550 Princess St - Summer: Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm * Winter: Mon-Sun 9 am-11 pm
Grey Highlands – call Jessica Yaniw (during regular business hours) at 519-986-1216 ext 227 for extended hours & locations during extreme weather alerts (Eugenia * Feversham * Flesherton * Kimberley * Markdale * Maxwell * Priceville)Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the designated cooling stations will not be available until further notice
* Grey Highlands Municipal Office - 206 Toronto St S Unit 1, Markdale - Mon-Fri, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
* Flesherton Public Library - 101 Highland Dr, Flesherton - Sep-Jun: Tue 10 am-8:30 pm, Wed, Fri 1 pm-5 pm, Thu 1 pm-5 pm and 6:30 pm-8:30 pm, Sat 9 am-2 pm * Jul-Aug: Tue 10 am-8:30 pm, Wed, Fri 10 am-5 pm, Thu 10 am-5 pm and 6:30 pm-8:30 pm, Sat 9 am-2 pm
* Centre Grey Recreation Complex Hall and Arena Floor – 75 Walker Rd., Markdale * no regular hours * call 519-986-1216 ext 227 for information
* Osprey Arena Floor and Hall - 494196 Grey Rd 2, Feversham * no regular hours * call 519-986-1216 ext 227 for information
Hanover, Town of Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the designated cooling stations will not be available until further notice
* Hanover P&H Centre - 269 7th Ave - Sep-Mar: Mon-Fri 6 am-11 pm, Sat-Sun 7 am-11 pm * call or see website for hours from Apr-Aug
* Hanover Library - 451 10th St - Mon-Thu 10 am-8 pm, Fri-Sat 10 am-5 pm, Sun 1 pm-5 pm
Meaford, Municipality of (Annan * Bognor * Griersville * Leith * Meaford * Woodford) Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, the designated cooling stations will not be available until further notice
* Meaford Library - 15 Trowbridge St W - Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm * Tue, Thu 10 am-8 pm
* Meaford Hall - 12 Nelson St E - Mon-Fri 9 am-4:30 pm * may also be open evenings and weekends * advised to call first as some private functions may result in the Gallery being closed
* Meaford and St Vincent Community Centre - 151 Collingwood St W - Mon-Sun 7am-11 pm
Owen Sound, City of
COVID-19 Response As public access facilities remain closed, The City of Owen Sound has set up an outdoor cooling station in the sheltered, open-air space located at the Farmers’ Market pavilion. Chairs will be available in the pavilion from 10 am–4:30 pm as needed. Users of the cooling centre must maintain proper physical distancing at all times. Ground markers and posters will be present as a reminder. An industrial fan will be used to circulate air through the space.
* Owen Sound & North Grey Union Library - 824 1st Ave W, Mon-Thu 9:30 am-9 pm, Fri-Sat 9:30 am-5 pm, Sun 2 pm-5 pm - water available
* Bayshore Community Centre - 1900 3rd Ave E - Mon-Sat 8 am-4:30 pm - water available
* Julie McArthur Regional Recreation Centre - 700 10th St E - Mon-Fri 5:45 am-10 pm, Sat-Sun 7 am-4 pm - water available
* Atrium of the Grey Bruce Health Unit - 101 17th St E - water available - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
* Owen Sound City Hall - 808 2nd Ave E - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm - water available
Southgate, Township of (Dundalk * Egremont * Holstein * Proton * Varney)
COVID-19 Response - Should Cooling Stations need to be opened during an extreme heat alert, staff will follow established protocols regarding screening, physical distancing, hygiene and cleaning.
The following facilities will be available as cooling centres:
* Lions Pavilion located in Dundalk Memorial Park, 250 Owen Sound Street, Dundalk, Ontario N0C1B0
* Egremont Optimist Centre located at 392137 Grey Road 109, Holstein, ON N0G2A0
If a community need is identified during an extreme heat warning or humidex advisory issued by Environment Canada, the centres will open for the public to access as cooling centres. Centers will be open from 10:00 AM and will close at 7:00 PM daily for the duration of the warning and/or advisory.
The designated cooling/warming centres for the Township of Southgate are the following locations:
* Lions Pavilion located in Dundalk Memorial Park, 250 Owen Sound Street, Dundalk, Ontario N0C1B0 (Cooling Center only)
* Egremont Optimist Centre located at 392137 Grey Road 109, Holstein ON N0G2A0 (Cooling & Warming Center)
* Dundalk Arena located at 550 Main Street East, Dundalk, Ontario N0C1B0 (Warming Center only)
* Frank Macintyre Building located in Dundalk Memorial Park, 250 Owen Sound Street, Dundalk, Ontario N0C1B0 (Warming Center only)
Cooling centres will be open from 10:00 AM and will close at 7:00 PM daily for the duration of the warning and/or advisory.
Warming centres will be open for 24 hour cycles and will reassessed daily at 10 am for the duration of the emergency.
Also available during regular business hours:
* Southgate Ruth Hargrave Memorial Library - 80 Proton St N, Dundalk - Tue-Thu 11 am-8 pm, Fri 11 am-5 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm
* Township of Southgate Municipal Office - 185667 Grey County Rd 9, Dundalk - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4 pm
|Areas Served||Grey County|
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||Grey County|
|Address & Map||
Owen Sound, ON