Service: Youth Diversion, Restorative Justice Conferencing, Youth Justice Committee
|Record #: PET1899||Last Modified: 14 Nov 2017||Last Full Update: 14 Nov 2017|
|Description (Service)||Youth Diversion:
* Works with police, courts, the community, and schools to keep young people (males and females) with minor offenses out of the court system. Ensures that the young person repairs the harm done and is held accountable for the offense that has been committed.
Restorative Justice/Youth Justice Committee:
* An alternative way of thinking about crime and conflict that challenges the community to look at youth justice differently, to respond to crime differently, and to seek new solutions to restore balance after a crime has been committed.
* Restorative justice focuses on holding the accused accountable in a meaningful way, repairing the harm caused by the offence and achieving a sense of healing for both the victim and the community.
* Involves a face-to-face meeting between the victim, the accused, and members of the community, led by a trained volunteer facilitators.
* The meeting helps the parties develop an understanding of the crime and each other, and of the steps needed to make amends.
* In most cases participation in the program diverts youths from going through the Criminal Justice System.
* Referrals to the program are made by the police services and Crown Attorney's offices.
People interested in volunteering should contact Nicole Soanes
|Hours||Office: Mon-Wed 8:30 am-6:30 pm, Thu 8:30 am-4:30 pm, Fri by appointment only|
|Areas Served||Peterborough ; Peterborough (County of)|
|Eligibility||Ages: 12 year(s) - 17 year(s)|
|Application||By referral from police, court, crown attorney, schools, family, community.|
|Address and Location|
|Located In Community||Peterborough|
|Address & Map||
305 Stewart St
Peterborough, ON K9J 3N2
View Google Map
|Intersection||Stewart St and Charlotte St|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Main floor only|
|Primary Contact||Crystal Blakley, Youth Diversion Caseworker; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alternate Contact||Nicole Soanes, Youth Justice Committee Coordinator; Email: email@example.com|
|Primary Executive||Kathy Neill, Executive Director; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing Address||K9H 3N2|