Volunteer Peer Health Coach
(Canadian Cancer Society, Mailing Address only, Cancer Information and Transportation Service)
Opportunity Details: Volunteer Peer Health Coach
|Contact||Zahra, Volunteer Coordinator, Canadian Cancer Society; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
BETTER Women is a research program that goes beyond cancer to help women aged 40-68 reduce their risk of chronic disease by creating and achieving health goals. Activities such as getting screened, moving more, healthy eating, quitting smoking and, reducing alcohol intake can reduce a person’s risk of getting cancer and other chronic diseases. Volunteer peer health coaches will provide regular support to women so they can reach and maintain their health goals.
To become a volunteer peer health coach, you will complete a virtual 24-hour online training program that will be delivered over the course of 5 weeks.
As a volunteer peer health coach, you will join the BETTER Women program to virtually (you can reside anywhere in Ontario) support women aged 40-68 achieve personal health goals that can help reduce their risk of chronic disease.
You will be matched with a patient and connect with them by phone, text, email, or video conference for short 10–15-minute sessions per week to coach them to reach their goals.
The program is currently being offered by three sites: Summerville Family Health Team, Barrie and Community Family Health Team: Family Medicine Teaching Unit and Women’s College Hospital Family Practice Health Centre.
Peer health coaches can relate to the group of women being supported through BETTER Women because of their own lived experiences and backgrounds.
Skills and Qualifications
· Have had success in meeting their own health goals including healthier eating, exercising, quitting smoking or reducing alcohol consumption
· Are non-judgmental and empathetic
· Can communicate effectively and through a variety of platforms (phone, email, text or video conference)
· Basic computer skills
· Can connect well with a variety of people, strong listening skills
· Flexible in adapting to different people and situations
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong commitment to confidentiality and can maintain high ethical standards and professionalism
Training & Support
We will provide you with:
· Comprehensive training to become a BETTER Women peer health coach
· Online resources and a peer health coach toolkit
· A designated CCS staff member who will provide ongoing support
· Regular meetings with other peer health coaches to build a strong community of practice
· A 1-2-year commitment of 3-4 hours per week
· You have a willingness to be a part of a research study, contributing to project evaluation
· Ongoing level of commitment which will include regular supervision check-ins and involvement within a community of practice
To apply for this opportunity, please submit an application.
Disclaimer: Peer health coaching is not counselling. Peer health coaches are not medical professionals and cannot diagnose or prescribe nutrition or physical fitness regimens. Peer health coaches are volunteers who are trained in motivational interviewing and work with participants to uncover their own goals and motivation for change.
|More Info Link||https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicEnterprise/EnterpriseActivity?enterpriseGuid=b13761a3-c184-4c39-a651-44dda5b970f1&activityGuid=63417318-93fc-4fb9-a072-a92e|
|Ages||40 year(s) - 68 year(s)|
|Suitable for Highschool Credit Hours||No|
|Areas of Interest||Health Care ; Mentorship / Leadership|
|Skills/Experience||Communication & Interpersonal Skills ; Confidentiality ; Customer Service ; Dependability & Trustworthiness ; Friendly & Outgoing ; General Computer Skills ; Listening Skills ; Mentoring & Training ; Patience ; Positive / Cheerful Demeanor ; Self-Motivated / Work Independently ; Team Work|
|Commitment Length||Long Term (More than 1 year)|
|Interaction Level||Virtual Volunteering|
|Minimum Hours||3 / Week|
|Number of Positions||Ontario|
|Training||Orientation ; Training is provided|
|Additional Requirements||Online police record check offered by us free of cost.|
|Start Date||On or after 01 Jan 2024|
Agency Details: Canadian Cancer Society, Mailing Address only, Cancer Information and Transportation Service
|Office Phone||1-800-263-6750, Wheels of Hope Transportation ; 1-877-513-5333, Smokers Helpline, Information, Advice & Support|
|Toll Free Phone||1-888-939-3333, Ontario Office / Cancer Information Service|
|Address & Map||
Coordinates: 44.3799290, -79.7133130
|Mailing Address||55 St Clair Ave W
Canada M4V 2Y7