Historical Gardener Volunteer
(Lang Pioneer Village Museum)
|Contact||Elizabeth, Administrative/Volunteer Coordinator, Lang Pioneer Village Museum; Phone: 705-295-6694; Fax: 705-295-6644; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Duties||The Historical Gardener Volunteer supports Lang Pioneer Village Museum by assisting in the creation and maintenance of historically accurate gardens within the village. The Historical Gardener Volunteer also enhances the visitor’s experience by sharing their knowledge and love of gardening with visitors. |
* Tend to historical gardens by performing gardening tasks such as cultivating soil, planting by seed and seedling, hoeing, and weeding gardens, carrying water, picking berries and vegetables and cutting grass.
* If tending gardens during hours Lang is open to the public, Historical Gardener Volunteers wear a period costume and provide historical interpretation of gardens to the general public
* Research 19th-century gardening practices and plant varieties
|More Info Link||www.langpioneervillage.ca|
|Benefits||* Learn new skills related to a historic gardening, wear a period costume. |
* Learn and experience local Canadian history in a peaceful setting surrounded by nineteenth century buildings and artifacts.
* Gain work experience in a museum setting.
* Share your passion and skill for gardening with the public.
* Receive free admission for yourself and a guest to Lang Pioneer Village Museum (special events included).
* Receive a 20% discount off all items for sale in Lang Pioneer Village’s gift shop.
* Bring new skills, ideas and enthusiasm to our programs.
* Receive a reciprocal pass (free or reduced admission) to many Ontario museums and attractions.
* Meet new people who share your interest in history and/or gardening.
|Clients||Visitors interested in Living History Museums.|
|Suitable for OSSD||No|
|Areas of Interest||Culture & Heritage ; Gardening / Yard Work ; General Manpower / Physical Labour ; Historical / Archival Activities ; Nature / Environment|
|Skills/Experience||* Interest in historical gardens and horticulture |
* Ability and determination to perform heavy and repetitive gardening tasks
* Friendly and cooperative attitude; willingness to converse with visitors
* Must have safety boots (goggles and gloves provided)
* WHIMIS training an asset, but not required
* Ability to work with minimal supervision
|Commitment Length||* The Historical Gardening Volunteer position is a seasonal commitment (May to Oct) of a minimum of 2 days per month. |
* We require volunteers who can commit to a regular schedule.
|Minimum Hours||12 / Month|
|Dates and Times||Monday: Morning, Afternoon |
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon
Friday: Morning, Afternoon
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon
Volunteers will be scheduled to suit their availability within operating hours and weather conditions.
|Location||Lang Pioneer Village Museum, Keene, Ontario|
|Number of Positions||Peterborough (County of): 10 individual(s) |
10 individual(s) needed in total.
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Lang Pioneer Village Museum|
|Toll Free Phone||1-866-289-5264|
|Address & Map|
104 Lang Rd
Keene, ON K0L 2G0
View MapQuest Map
|Mailing Address||c/o County of Peterborough |
470 Water St
Peterborough, ON K9H 3M3