(Lang Pioneer Village Museum)
|Contact||Elizabeth, Administrative/Volunteer Coordinator, Lang Pioneer Village Museum; Phone: 705-295-6694; Fax: 705-295-6644; Email: email@example.com|
|Duties||The Interpretation Volunteer supports Lang Pioneer Village Museum by learning and interpreting early 19th-century rural Ontario lifestyles to visitors. Costumed interpreter enact daily living within the village and demonstrate historic trades or crafts. Interpreters may specialize in the history and activities of a particular building or trade or craft and in this way bring an expertise to the work that they do within the village. Volunteers interpret during regular days in the village, at special events, and for school tours. |
* Learn historical information relating to placement within the village.
* Interpret daily living in a 19th-century rural Ontario community.
* Demonstrate historic trades or crafts.
* Teach history in an informal, peaceful setting to the public.
* Wear a period costume and be responsible for care and general cleaning of assigned costume.
* Provide excellent customer service to visitors.
|More Info Link||www.langpioneervillage.ca|
|Benefits||* Learn new skills related to a historic trade or craft, wear a period costume, work in a historic building or garden, run a craft or activity at special events. |
* Learn and experience local Canadian history in a peaceful setting surrounded by nineteenth century buildings and artifacts.
* Gain work experience in a museum setting; you will gain valuable experience working with the public, hands-on craft & trade skills & communication and problem-solving abilities.
* Share your passion and skill in a particular trade or craft with the public.
* Earn hours towards the requirements for your high school community volunteer experience.
* Receive free admission for yourself and a guest to Lang Pioneer Village Museum (special events included).
* Receive a 20% discount off all items for sale in Lang Pioneer Village’s gift shop.
* Bring new skills, ideas and enthusiasm to our programs.
* Receive a reciprocal pass (free or reduced admission) to many Ontario museums and attractions.
* Meet new people who share your interest in history or craft.
|Clients||Tourists and families|
|Suitable for OSSD||No|
|Areas of Interest||Carpentry & Woodwork ; Culture & Heritage ; Event Coordination & Support ; Fashion / Needlecraft ; Gardening / Yard Work ; General Trade-Related ; Guide / Greeter ; Historical / Archival Activities ; Music & Performing Arts|
|Skills/Experience||* Strong customer service and communication skills; ability to engage and converse with visitors of all ages and backgrounds. |
* Enjoy reading and learning new information; interest in 19th-century history.
* Must be able to deal with a fire in a cook stove and or open hearth (training provided).
* Prior knowledge of or willingness to learn and practice a traditional craft or trade.
* Teaching experience an asset, but not required.
* Interest and skill in gardening an asset.
* Must be willing to wear a costume.
|Commitment Length||* The Interpretation Volunteer position is a seasonal placement. The volunteer will commit to a minimum of two days or more per month for the duration of the season (Jun – Sep). |
* During the off-season (Sep - Dec), Volunteer Interpreters may continue to interpret at Special Events and in the school program.
* The volunteer interpreter schedule is determined one month in advance.
|Minimum Hours||12 / Month|
|Dates and Times||Monday: Morning, Afternoon |
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon
Friday: Morning, Afternoon
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon
|Location||Lang Pioneer Village, Keene, ON|
|Number of Positions||Peterborough (County of): 20 individual(s) |
20 individual(s) needed in total.
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Lang Pioneer Village Museum|
|Toll Free Phone||1-866-289-5264|
|Address & Map|
104 Lang Rd
Keene, ON K0L 2G0
View MapQuest Map
|Mailing Address||c/o County of Peterborough |
470 Water St
Peterborough, ON K9H 3M3