The Board meets at least eight times a year and generally takes the summer months off (as well as December and January, although this fluctuates based on need). Board Members are expected to participate in occasional activities such as fundraisers, board subcommittees (when required), and participation in email discussions (only when in-person or virtual discussion is not possible).
Meetings are held virtually, ensuring accessibility for all Board members located throughout a large region. Board meetings are often not more than one hour in length, given members are expected to have reviewed the Board report beforehand.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· To resolutely uphold the interests of CONTACT Community Services, avoiding conflicts of interest in personal or other business.
· To maintain the confidentiality of restricted Board information.
· To be open to serving as an active member on at least one board appointed committee (if possible).
· To attend Board and committee meetings on a regular and timely basis,with a full understanding of the agenda and accompanying package. All materials are circulated in advance to allow for ample time for member review. The ED encourages any member to reach out for clarification prior to the meeting to help support efficiency at the meetings.
· To conduct Board business in a professional manner.
· To be an active participant in all Board issues, providing a positive influence; open to change and creative problem solving.
· To interact with all other Board members with respect and dignity.
Skills and Abilities of Individual Board Members:
· Experience in the field or lived experience related to the organization’s mission and purpose.
· Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of board governance: policy, finance, programs, legal, personnel, and advocacy.
· Experience with strategic planning and organizational development.
· History and knowledge of one of the South Simcoe communities: Essa, Adjala-Tosorontio, Innisfil, New Tecumseth,Bradford West Gwillimbury.
· Experience with communications, branding and/or philanthropy.
As a Client Support Volunteer, you will assist clients of CONTACT's Housing Services Department to identify, collect and compile various documents and forms they might need to apply for housing services in Simcoe County.
You will connect with them by phone or in-person at the CONTACT Community Services offices in Bradford and Alliston, or in public locations like libraries or a local Tim Horton's.
You will help them identify, photograph and email copies of documents, such as their ID, Rental Agreements, Income Statements and other documents that are needed to access support services.
In some cases, you will assist them to complete forms.
You will be able to connect directly with CONTACT's Housing Staff to get support or answers when you're not sure of next steps.
This role is important because it frees up time for Housing Staff to help clients find and access housing and other support services they might need, by limiting the amout of time spent collecting client documents and completing forms with them.
You will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement and not share or disclose client information to others.
Volunteers will be involved in the planning, promoting and implementation or the New Horizons Seniors Program.
They perform a wide range of duties including:
Sorting and Pricing Donations
Organizing and Displaying Merchandise
Designing Window Displays