||When Environment Canada issues an extreme heat or cold alert, rest areas are available to residents for relief from extreme weather conditions. These can include public buildings such as libraries or community centres during regular business hours. Other buildings such as malls or cinemas that have air conditioning/heating could also be used.
Contact your local municipality before visiting as locations and hours may be extended or limited depending on season and conditions. Hours subject to change without notice and locations may be closed on holidays.
The following are suggested locations open during normal operating hours:
Blue MountainsChatsworth (Berkely, Desboro, Dornoch, Holland Centre, Massie, Williamsford)
Georgian Bluffs, Township of (Derby, Keady, Keppel, Sarawak, Shallow Lake, Springmount)Grey Highlands (Eugenia, Feversham, Flesherton, Kimberley, Markdale, Maxwell, Priceville)
- Chatsworth Fire Hall - 75 McNab, Chatsworth, 519-794-3188 - Will be made available during emergency condition only
- Keady Community Centre - 116931 Grey Road 3, Tara, 519-934-2241 - call for hours and availabiltiy
Hanover, Town of
- Grey Highlands Municipal Office - 206 Toronto St S Unit 1, Markdale - Mon-Fri, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Flesherton Public Library - 101 Highland Dr, Flesherton - Tue 10 am-8:30 pm, Wed-Fri 10 am-5 pm; Sat 9 am-2 pm
- Walter Harris Memorial Branch (Markdale) - 75 Walker St, Markdale - Tue,Wed, Fri 10 am-5:30 pm; Thu 1 pm-8:30 pm, Sat 10 am-3:30 pm
- Kimberly Public Library - 235309 Grey Road 13, Kimberley - Tue 1 pm-5 pm; Thu, Sat 10 am-2 pm
Meaford, Municipality of (Annan, Bognor, Griersville, Leith, Meaford, Woodford)
- Hanover P&H Centre - 269 7th Ave, 519-364-2310 - Hours subject to change depending on facility bookings, call to confirm
- Until the end of Jun - Mon, Wed, Fri 6 am-9 pm * Tue 7 am-9:30 pm * Thu 6 am-9:30 pm * Sat 6:30 am-4 pm * Sun 10 am-4 pm
- Jul, Aug - Mon, Fri 6 am-7 pm * Tue-Thu 6 am-9 pm * Sat 8:30 am-12:30 pm
- Hanover Library - 451 10th St - Mon-Thu 10 am-8 pm; Fri 10 am-5 pm; Sat 10 am-4 pm
- Hanover Missionary Church - warming centre - Thu 11:30 am-1 pm Winter Only
Owen Sound, City of -check website for more informationSouthgate, Township of (Dundalk, Egremont, Holstein, Proton, Varney)The Frank Macintyre Building and Egremont Optimist Centre may be available as warming centres as needed in emergency circumstances. Phone numbers are posted on the doors to contact the facilities manager who can open a facility on request. Warming centres will be open for 24 hour cycles and will reassessed daily at 10 am for the duration of the emergency.
- Meaford Library - 11 Sykes St N - Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 10 am-5 pm, Tue, Thu 10 am-8 pm, Sun 11 am-3 pm
- Meaford Hall - 12 Nelson St E. - Mon - Fri 9 am-4 pm. May also be open evenings and weekends depending on events. Please call first to ensure that public areas are available for use. 519-538-0463.
- Meaford and St Vincent Community Centre - 151 Collingwood St W - Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm, may be open in evenings and on weekends. Must contact to confirm availability. 519-538-1060 ext. 1407.
West Grey (Ayton, Durham, Neustadt, Varney)
The following facilities may be available. Hours are irregular, so phone first to confirm they are open.
- West Grey Public Library, Durham Branch - 453 Garafraxa St S, Durham - Tue-Thu 10 am-7 pm, Fri 10 am-5 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm
- West Grey Public Library, Ayton Branch - 610 Alfred St, Ayton - Tue 2 pm-7 pm, Sat 10 am-1 pm
- West Grey Public Library, Neustadt Branch - 511 Mill St, Neustadt - Tue 10 am-1 pm, Thu 2 pm-7 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm
- Durham Community Centre - 451 Sadler St West, Durham - 519-369-5771
- Neustadt Arena and Community Hall - 183 Enoch St, Neustadt - 519-665-7850
- Ayton Arena Complex - 759 Arthur St, Ayton - 519-665-7850