Record #: CWD7244
Last Modified: 29 May 2024
Last Full Update: 01 Oct 2020


Description (Service) Couples who are on limited income can request to be taxed as two single individuals when one partner moves into a Long Term Care Home. If taxed as single people, each will receive more Old Age Security with the GIS(Guaranteed Income Supplement) allowing one to stay in the home and the other to have enough to pay for long term care.

When applying for Long Term Care in Ontario, ask for information about Involuntary Separation, which is included on the application form.

For more information contact the following agencies:
  • Community Care Access Centre
  • Canada Income Security Program
  • Canada Revenue Agency

Service Details

Hours n/a
Areas Served Ontario
Eligibility Married and common law couples who are on limited incomes
Application n/a
Languages English
Fees None

Address and Location

Address & Map
Coordinates: 44.6073644, -79.4190960
Physical Access Not Applicable

Contact Information

Office Phone 1-800-277-9914, Toll Free
TTY Phone 1-800-255-4786

Agency Overview