Health Fairs, Community Displays-Simcoe County Locations
(Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County, Barrie)
Opportunity Details: Health Fairs, Community Displays-Simcoe County Locations
This Volunteer Opportunity is currently not available due to COVID-19.
|Contact||Administrative Assistant, Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County; Phone: 705-722-1066 * 1-800-265-5391; Email: email@example.com|
* Assist in promoting the programs and services of the Society to the attendees of the Health Fair.
|More Info Link||www.alzheimer.ca/simcoecounty|
* Learn more about Alzheimer's disease, the Programs and Services and the functioning of the Society.
* Learn about community support services.
* Gain experience interacting with other volunteers, providing information to caregivers in a non-threatening environment.
|Clients||Caregivers, family members, friends of those who have Alzheimer's disease.|
|Ages||18 year(s) and up|
|Suitable for Highschool Credit Hours||No|
|Areas of Interest||Advocacy ; Community Outreach ; Event Coordination & Support ; Guide / Greeter ; Health Care ; Information & Referral Services ; Marketing & Promotions ; Office Administration ; Program Coordination / Support|
|Skills/Experience||Communication & Interpersonal Skills ; Confidentiality ; Customer Service ; Dependability & Trustworthiness ; Friendly & Outgoing ; Listening Skills ; Patience ; Positive / Cheerful Demeanor ; Self-Motivated / Work Independently ; Team Work ; Translation & Languages ; Volunteers applying for this position must have the following:
* An approachable, out-going personality and enjoy meeting people
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly as they apply to interactions with caregivers
* Understanding of the 'stigma' attached to Alzheimer's disease
* Able to discern the degree of sensitivity required to respond to individuals and respond appropriately to the vulnerability of caregivers
* Some knowledge of Alzheimer's disease and the programs and services of the Society
* Willingness to learn more about Alzheimer's disease and the Society
* Availability during week days, flexible schedule
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
|Commitment Length||Long Term (More than 1 year) ; Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one year as a Health Fair Volunteer.|
|Interaction Level||Solitary ; One-on-one ; Small Group ; Volunteers will engage the public in conversations about information about Alzheimer's disease, caregiver support, community support services. Some of the conversations can develop into deep conversations.|
|Minimum Hours||2 (Total)|
|Accessibility||Unknown ; Varies with location of Health Fair.|
|Number of Positions||Alliston: 2 individual(s) ; Barrie: 2 individual(s) ; Collingwood: 2 individual(s) ; Innisfil: 2 individual(s) ; Midland: 2 individual(s) ; Orillia: 2 individual(s) ; Penetanguishene: 2 individual(s) ; Wasaga Beach: 2 individual(s)
16 individual(s) needed in total.
Volunteers will be accepted from any of the communities in these areas.
|Training||Orientation ; Training is provided ; Training on the job ; There is a two hour Initial Training Session for Health Fair Volunteers. There is an additional annual meeting of 2 hours to update the volunteers on new information, research, etc. There is a Health Fair Resource Manual for each volunteer as a reference document. A copy of the Resource Manual is also kept with the Resource material at each Health Fair.|
|Transportation||Driver License required ; Car required ; Volunteers are responsible to provide their own transportation to and from the Health Fair.|
|Police Check||Not Required|
|Additional Requirements||Volunteers new to the Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County must participate in an interview.|
Agency Details: Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County, Barrie
|Toll Free Phone||1-800-265-5391|
|Address & Map||
20 Anne St S
Canada L4N 2C6
|Mailing Address||PO Box 1414
Canada L4M 5R4